- Lincolnwood School District 74
- Our Classroom
Down on the Farm
This week we took a trip to the farm. We learned about all the animals that live there and the sounds they make. Some of the books we enjoyed this week were Barnyard Hullabaloo by Giles Andreae, Cows Love Cookies by Karma Wilson, Mrs. Wishy Washy by Joy Cowley, Click, Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin, and Old MacDonald Had a Farm. The children used animal puppets to act out and retell the stories. We also made our own class book about our Pre-k friends at the farm and the animals they see. We have created a large farm scene in our hallway with a big, red barn, cows, pigs, roosters and sheep. The children love seeing their work displayed!
- STEM - the children used a variety of materials to create a boat. The boat not only had to float, but it also had to keep a note dry. The children were able to test the boat and then make changes to see if they could improve their design.
- MATH - the children worked on sorting objects by two attributes (ex. yellow and small)
- READING - the children were introduced to the idea of beginning, middle and end of a story. They also practiced identifying the first letter of their names. We talked about feelings and words that rhyme.
- WRITING - the children continued to work on the color pages in our writing book. We talked about blue, orange, pink and brown
Next week we'll be learning about pumpkins. We will talk about how they grow and how pumpkins can be used.
Important Dates and Upcoming Themes:
- Monday, October 28th - Field Trip to Emily Oaks Nature Center
- Theme for the week of 10/28 - Pumpkins
- Thursday, October 31st - HALLOWEEN - AM and PM classes will all attend in the morning (8:25-11:25) for a parade and party
- Theme for the week of 11/4 - Fall