- Lincolnwood School District 74
- Our Classroom
What a fun and busy week! We started with our field trip to Emily Oaks Nature Center. It was such a beautiful day. The children we are to walk around, look at the fall leaves and see a few animals. Of course our favorite part was riding on the bus and playing at the cool park. Thanks to all who joined us for the fun! We then spent the next few days talking about pumpkins. We enjoyed the books Pete the Cat Five Little Pumpkins and Seed, Sprout, Pumpkin, Pie. We did some pumpkin investigations on Wednesday. We talked about the shape and size of our real pumpkin. We also cut it open to see what was inside. On Friday we talked about how a pumpkin grows and what they can be used for. We learned that we can cook and eat them, so we made some yummy pumpkin muffins for snack. We sent home the recipe in case you want to try them at home.
Halloween was a howling good time on Thursday. The children all looked great in their costumes. I am so glad so many of you braved the snow and cold to join us for our class party.
On Friday, I sent home the link for parent-teacher conferences. Please sign up for a 15 minute time slot. I look forward to meeting with you and talking about all the wonderful things your child is doing at school.
Don’t forget to send in a canned food donation for the upcoming Turkey Trot!
- STEM - the children used a variety of materials to create a fence. They then tried to balance 5 little pumpkins (unifix cubes) on it without them falling off. For an even bigger challenge, they had to then try to balance a real mini pumpkin.
- MATH - we talked about the problem solving strategy - build a model to solve a problem. The children were given a word problem and they had to show me how they would solve it by using a boat and some bears.
- READING - the children continued to practice the idea of beginning, middle and end of a story by listing to a silly song about a ballet dancing truck driver. They also practiced rhyming by making silly rhymes with their names. We hunted for letters all around our room as well.
- WRITING - This week the children practiced building and writing their names.
Next week we'll be talking about fall. If the leaves are not too snow-covered or frozen, please send some for us to examine in class.
Important Dates and Upcoming Themes:
- Theme for the week of 11/4 - Fall
- Theme for the week of 11/11 - All About Me
- Theme for the week of 11/18 - Hibernation
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - November 12th, November 20th and November 21st
- Friday, November 22nd - Turkey Trot
- November 25-29 - NO SCHOOL for Thanksgiving Break