- Lincolnwood School District 74
- Our Classroom
This week we talked all about the season of autumn. We discussed how the trees and leaves are changing, how the days are getting shorter and how the weather is getting colder. We enjoyed the books There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colandro, Clifford’s First Autumn by Norman Bridwell, The Leaves Are Falling One by One by Steve Metzger, and Acorns Everywhere! By Kevin Sherry. The children used watercolor paints to make some beautiful fall leaves for our class tree and used shapes to make a cute scarecrow. We investigated the leaves the children brought from home in the water table with magnifying glasses and books to help make comparisons. The children also shared their leaf homework page with the class. The children enjoyed talking about the leaf they found. We watched a Mystery Science video this week titled ‘Why Do Leaves Change Color in the Fall?’ The children learned how chlorophyll leaves the leaves and goes back into the tree for the winter. This makes the leaves stop being green and allows other colors to come through, like red, orange, yellow and brown.
Parent-teacher conferences will begin next week. Please sign up for a 15 minute time slot. I look forward to meeting with you and talking about all the wonderful things your child is doing at school.
Don’t forget to send in a canned food donation for the upcoming Turkey Trot!
- STEM - the children completed the final sink and float activity. The challenge this week was to use clay to make a boat that could float. If they got their boat to float, they then added marbles to see how many it could hold before it sank.
- MATH - Ms. Loupos made a fun math center this week. The children had to count the dots on the leaf and then find the clip with the matching number.
- READING - the children practiced rhyming with a song about leaves. We also talked about the parts of a book (cover, title, author, etc) and how we read from left to right.
- WRITING - This week the children practiced building and writing their names.
Next week we'll be focusing on the topic of All About Me. The children love sharing all about themselves and their families. Please send in a family picture next week that we can add to our wall.
Important Dates and Upcoming Themes:
- Theme for the week of 11/11 - All About Me
- Theme for the week of 11/18 - Hibernation
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - November 12th, November 20th and November 21st
- Tuesday, November 19th - Book Fair Visit
- Friday, November 22nd - Turkey Trot
- November 25-29 - NO SCHOOL for Thanksgiving Break