- Lincolnwood School District 74
- Our Classroom
Welcome back! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It was great hearing all the stories from the week off of school. This week we talked all about fairy tales. We learned common characteristics of fairy tales and looked for these elements in the books we read. Some of the books we enjoyed were Cinderella, Snow White, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight. The children had fun retelling these stories and creating their own using crowns, shields, magic wands, magic mirrors and even a castle. We challenged the children by asking them to create a bed for Goldilocks using only blocks and popsicle sticks. Some of our favorite fairy tale characters even visited our class - Anna, Elsa and Olaf!
- STEM - this week we continued the topic of coding. The children used Coding Critters by Learning Resources. They learned how to move them forward, backward, left and right.
- MATH - we continued to practice position and direction words. This week the lessons focused on top, bottom, front and back.
- READING - the children built letters using wood pieces and letter cards. We practiced following the words in a book, tracking the print from left to right. We sequenced events in a story and practiced retelling it using puppets and props. We also introduced the idea of setting.
- WRITING - we learned how to write the letter F and practiced drawing a square.
Next week we'll begin our two week study of the Gingerbread Man. We will read and compare many versions of this classic story and even bake a yummy treat for snack.
Important Dates and Upcoming Themes:
- Theme for the weeks of 12/9 and 12/16 - Gingerbread Man
- Friday, December 20th - Winter party (more information will be coming soon)
- AM - 8:45-9:30
- PM - 12:45-1:30
- December 23-January 3 - NO SCHOOL for Winter Break
- Theme for the week of 1/6 - Winter